Get familiar with common terms used at the Institute.

Jump to  A  |  B  |  C  |  D  |  E  |  F  |  G  |  H  |  I  |  L  |  M  |  N  |  O  |  P  |  R  |  S  |  T  |  U  |  W .


An academic is a broad term referring to a person who does research or teaches at a university (or tertiary institution). Academics have an elite level of knowledge and are likely to hold advanced qualifications.

Academic transcript
An academic transcript is a complete record of all your academic study undertaken at EEI.

Academic year
The academic year (or academic cycle) is divided into three 14-weeks trimesters, each followed by an examination period.

Academic record

An official record of your study at the University. This includes your academic transcript and testamur.

The process of applying to study at the Institute that incorporates having your application considered.

A person or organisation within or outside Australia that represents or acts on behalf of the Institute and student in order to facilitate the student’s admission to the Institute.


Once you graduate with a degree from the University you become a member of our alumni community. ‘Alumni’ is the plural form, referring to more than one former student.


You may lodge an appeal against an academic or disciplinary decision made by the Institute. An academic decision is one that affects your academic assessment or progression within your award course. Disciplinary decisions are non-academic decisions, including the result of a misconduct investigation.


You are an applicant when you are in the process of applying to an award course at Elite Education Institute, or have received an offer but haven’t yet accepted (this includes deferred offers).


The process of measuring your performance in a unit of study. Assessment tasks can include written or practical examinations, assignments, performances, portfolios, designs or constructions.

Assumed knowledge

For some courses or units of study, we assume you have reached a certain level of knowledge or have passed a relevant subject – this is called assumed knowledge. It often refers to a Higher School Certificate (HSC) subject, but equivalent subjects in other recognised Year 12 qualifications will be accepted (see also ‘prerequisite’).


You must meet unit of study attendance requirements to continue taking the unit. Attendance requirements vary by unit of study and are outlined in your handbook or the unit of study outline.

Australia Tertiary Admission Rank (ATAR)

The ATAR is a ranking between 0 and 99.95 that is allocated to all students who complete an Australian Year 12 (secondary school) qualification. It is a measure of the student’s overall academic achievement relative to other students who have undertaken an Australian Year 12 qualification. If you have completed another recognised secondary qualification your results will be translated to an ATAR equivalent to determine whether you have met the standard required for admission.

Award course

A course approved by the Institute’s governing bodies that leads to a qualification such as a bachelor’s degree or a master’s degree, or the award of a diploma or certificate.



Bachelor’s degree
The Bachelor degree is an undergraduate award requiring successful completion of a number of units of study (depending upon the award requirements). A Bachelor degree gives graduates broadly applicable generic skills or specialist professional knowledge which provides initial preparation for careers or postgraduate study. Examples of degrees include: generic degrees such as the Bachelor of Business; a specialist degree such as the Bachelor of Business (Professional Accounting)




The Institute’s grounds, including laboratories, lecture theatres, administration buildings and recreational areas etc.


A substantial, compulsory project that consolidates your learning and demonstrates that you have acquired the necessary skills and knowledge during your studies. You usually complete it during the final year of your course.

Census date

The date when your enrolment in a unit of study becomes final. This means the unit of study will appear on your transcript and you are liable to pay fees. Census dates are listed on the University website.

Certificate of current enrolment

A document that demonstrates your current enrolment at the Institute.

Commencement Date

The date the last of the parties signs this Agreement which date appears on the front page of this Agreement.

Completion letter

document that proves completion of your qualification. It is available once your eligibility to graduate has been confirmed.


When you are awarded your award course at the Institute. Award courses are conferred either at a graduation ceremony or in absentia.

Continuing student

When you are currently enrolled and will be re-enrolling in your studies in the next study session.

Core unit

A compulsory unit of study that you need to complete to be awarded a particular degree.


A planned and structured sequence of learning and teaching that allows you to gain knowledge, skills and understanding.

Course Fee

The tuition and other fees for Courses set by the Institute as published in the International Schedule of Programs and Fees.

Course transfer

When you change from one course to another, either within the Institute or between institutions.

Credit for previous study

The recognition of previous studies, either at EEI or another institution, that can be granted as specific or non-specific credit towards your current course. Credit for previous study is also called ‘advanced standing’ or ‘transfer credit’. Also, see ‘recognition of prior learning’.

Credit point

A credit point is the value that each unit of study (single subject) contributes towards the completion requirements for your course.


The education providers and the courses they offer on a full-time basis to international students need to be registered with the Commonwealth Register of Institutions and Courses for Overseas Students (CRICOS). For more information, visit the Australian Government’s CRICOS website.





A bachelor, honours, master or PhD qualification (does not include graduate diploma or graduate certificate).


Diplomas are typically of a lower academic status than an undergraduate award such as a Bachelor’s degree.

Domestic student

You are a domestic student if you are an Australian or New Zealand citizen (including dual citizens), a permanent resident of Australia or hold a permanent Australian humanitarian visa.

Double degree

When you complete two separate qualifications in succession. In these programs, you commence in one degree then transfer to the second degree to complete the remainder of your studies (if you meet certain criteria). For example, you can undertake an undergraduate degree followed by a specific postgraduate program, such as the Bachelor of Science and Master of Nutrition and Dietetics.




Elective unit

An elective unit of study is one that can be taken outside of a major or minor. Electives allow you to explore interests outside of your primary field(s) of study.


The process that secures your place in a course at the Institute. It includes accepting the Institute’s conditions of being a student and selecting units of study for the coming semester or year. For research students, the process involves selecting your program of research to be undertaken and start date.


The Education Services for Overseas Students Act 2000 including its regulations;.





An amount of money that you are required to pay for tuition and/or student services and amenities. Tuition fees are calculated based on your residency status, your year of study and the course or units of study you are enrolled in.

Financial liability

Your financial responsibility for tuition fees or student contributions.

Full-time study

The amount of study for a particular Program which is approved by the accrediting body for the Program, or in cases where the accrediting body gives no such approval, means the 20 contact hours per week, as defined in paragraphs 13.1 and 13.2 of the National Code.





The outcome you receive for a unit of study based on the assessments completed. Your grades are displayed on your academic transcript.


A person who has completed the requirements for their award course but the award has not yet been conferred at a graduation ceremony.


A person who has completed the requirements for their award course and had the award conferred on them at a graduation ceremony.


The formal conferring of awards either at a ceremony or in absentia (if you cannot attend a ceremony).






International English Language Testing System (IELTS)
An internationally recognised United Kingdom-based test of a person’s English abilities. The IELTS assesses a person’s listening, reading, speaking and writing skills.

International student

You are an international student if you are not an Australian or New Zealand citizen (or dual citizen of Australia or New Zealand), a permanent resident of Australia or a holder of a permanent Australian humanitarian visa. To enrol at university, international students need to hold an appropriate visa that allows them to study in Australia.


“Institute” means Elite Education Institute.




A lecture is an oral and audio-visual presentation, usually given by a content expert, intended to convey critical information, history, background, theories and equations to students enrolled in a course of study. Students are expected to listen carefully and take their own notes with little guidance from the lecturer in identifying what should be recorded.

Lecturers are instructors or presenters who deliver information to groups of students in a lecture or seminar setting. They are similar to tutors, as most lecturers also tutor.





A defined sequence of units of study that deepens your experience in a field of study. Majors are recorded on your academic transcript. Requirements for majors are outlined in your handbook.

Marketing Material

Marketing Material is defined as any material, both print and electronic, that a Prospective Student may have access to prior to enrolment. This includes print and electronic advertising, print and electronic brochures, web pages and links, business cards, merchandising material, and signage.



National Code 2018

National Code 2018 is the Code which forms part of the ESOS Act pertinent details.

Non-award course

Studies undertaken that do not lead to an award from the Institute. Non-award courses include professional development programs.




Confirmation of Enrolment (CoE)

A document issued to international students by the Institute and used in the application for a student visa. If you need to extend your student visa, you should request an extension of your CoE.


Orientation sessions held before the start of each trimester give you:

  • essential and valuable information about Institute services and resources
  • opportunities to meet students and staff, enjoy social activities and discover student organisations and sporting facilities.

Overseas Student Health Cover (OSHC)
The minimum level of private health insurance international students are required to purchase as a condition of their student visa for study in Australia.





A course leading to the award of a graduate certificate, graduate diploma, master’s degree or doctorate. A postgraduate award usually requires previous completion of a relevant undergraduate (bachelor’s) degree or diploma. It can also refer to a student studying a postgraduate course.


The Providers Registrations and International Students Management System (the electronic system that hold CRICOS and the electronic confirmation of enrolment).


The full time registered programs offered by the Institute and registered on the Commonwealth Register of Institutions and Courses for Overseas Students (CRICOS).


If you are enrolled in an award course, you need to meet the progression requirements for that course. This means you need to satisfy all course requirements and faculty rules within the maximum completion time allowed. Ongoing unsatisfactory progression may lead to exclusion from the award course.

Prospective Student

A person (whether within or outside Australia) who intends to become, or who has taken any steps towards becoming a student or an ‘overseas student’ as defined by the ESOS Act.




Recommencing student

When you have been on a break from your studies (such as leave) and are returning in the next study session.


The process that current students undertake at the end of each year to maintain their place in their course. This includes accepting the Institute’s conditions of studying and enrolling in units of study for the following academic year.

Recognition of prior learning

If you have completed previous studies in a related area or have relevant work experience, you can apply to have this credited towards your studies at EEI. This may reduce your study load or the time it takes to complete your course.

Results notice

Once results have been released, you can view your results notice online through EEI’s portal. This unofficial document shows the results for each of your units of study.





A form of support, usually financial, provided to assist in your continued education. Scholarships are usually granted on the basis of academic achievement and/or financial need.

Special arrangement

An arrangement that is made if an essential commitment affects your ability to complete an assessment. This may need an extension of time to complete the assessment task.

Special consideration

You may apply for special consideration if you suffer from an illness, injury or misadventure that significantly affects your performance in an assessment item (or multiple assessment items). This will be taken into account when assessing your performance. If consideration is not granted, you have the right to appeal this decision.


The disciplinary or professional expertise developed for a profession or career in a professional or specialist bachelor’s degree or postgraduate degree.


You are a student if you hold a current CoE and are enrolled in an award course. This includes if you are enrolled in non-award units.

Student card

Your student card is issued once you enrol and identifies you as a student of EEI.

Student Identification Number (SID)

A unique nine-digit number that identifies you as a student at the Institute. Your SID remains the same throughout your studies at the Institute.

Student visa

As an international student, you must hold a valid visa that allows you to study in Australia. Information on student visas can be found on the Australian Government Department of Home Affairs website.

Suitable Prospective Student

A person wishing to undertake a study with the Institute to meet the entry requirements (meeting competent English standards expected of at the relevant AQF level programs and minimum qualification prior to undertaking the respective AQF level programs as offered by the Institute).





The whole assessable work submitted for examination after a period of supervised independent research. A thesis is usually required for a masters by research degree or a PhD.


complete record of your studies at EEI. It includes all units of study (attempted and completed) and your grade for each.

Transfer (internal)

You may be able to arrange a course transfer from one course to another within the Institute.

Transfer (external)

You may be able to arrange a transfer to another Higher Education Provider in Australia.

A tutor is an academic staff member who supervises practicals and tutorials for small groups of students.


A tutorial is a smaller and less formal learning setting than a lecture. Students are guided by a tutor, and can ask questions and have group discussions.





A course leading to a diploma or a bachelor degree, or a student studying at this level.


An individual subject that you study as part of your degree. It is the smallest stand-alone component of a course that can be recorded on your academic transcript, and has a credit point value (usually 6, except where approved by the Academic Board). Units of study can be core (mandatory) or elective (optional).





When you are exempted from taking a specific unit of study that is a core requirement of your course. Waivers are usually granted on the basis of previous learning or experience. Credit is not available for a waived unit.