Legal Information And Advice

LawAccess NSW is a free government telephone service that provides legal assistance for people who have a legal problem in NSW. They can provide you with information about your legal problem and contact details for services that might be able to assist you.
If you are calling from outside Australia you can contact LawAccess NSW by calling +61 2 8833 3190 between 9am and 5pm, Monday to Friday, Australian Eastern Standard Time (AEST) or Australian Eastern Daylight Time (AEDT).
Legal Aid NSW has a number of specialist services that provide help over the phone.

Youth Hotline 1800 10 18 10
Child Support Service 02 9633 9916 (Sydney) or 1800 451 784 (regional)
Mental Health Advocacy Service 02 9747 6155
Veteran’s Advocacy Service 02 9219 5148
Prisoners Legal Service 02 8688 3888

For any further legal information and advice, please see website: or calling 1300 888 529
The Redfern Legal Service for NSW will provide legal services to International students:
Other useful links include:

Your rights as a consumer Consumer Action Law Centre
Your rights as a tenant Tenants Union of Victoria
Refugee and immigration legal issues Refugee and Immigration Legal Centre Inc.
Your rights at work JobWatch
Specialist legal advice for women Women’s Legal Service Victoria

If in any doubt, please contact the EEI Administration Office or Student Counsellor, who will assist you through referral to the appropriate agency.

24 hour Crisis Emergency Contacts:

Lifeline 131 114
Police (Free call) 000
Crime Stoppers 1800 000

Sexual Assault

NSW Rape Crisis Centre – 98196565 or 1800 424 017 Eastern and Central Sexual Assault Services – 9515 3680 Crisis Service-ask for afterhours crisis workers – 9515 6111

Sexual Assault Crisis Line
Crisis line 1800 806 292 (Freecall* Victoria, Australia) Email: Police/emergency contact line: (03) 8345 3494

Alcohol and Drug Counseling

Alcoholics Anonymous NSW (24 hours) – 9799 1199

Alcoholics Anonymous VIC (24 hours) – 9429 1833 or 1300 AA HOPE

Victims of Crime Support Lines

NSW 24 hour information, support and referrals – 9374 3000 VIC Open: 8am – 11pm, 7 days a week – 1800 819 817

Interpreting Services: 131450 (Sydney); 9034 5299 (Melbourne)

Work Rights—International Student Only

Students are not permitted to work until their course is started. Students can work up to 40 hours fortnightly while their course is in session (excluding any work undertaken as a registered component of study or training) and they can work unlimited hours during scheduled course breaks. Family members of students are not allowed to work until the student begins the course. They are allowed to work up to 40 hours fortnightly at all times. Students should contact the Department if Immigration and Border Protection (DIBP) in Australia for the latest requirements as these requirements vary.

Living in Australia

There are many websites providing information on living in Australia. These few are useful: – this is a good site identifying the costs of living in Australia.
If you have a school aged dependent, you will be required to pay full fees if enrolled in either a government or non-government school. Check the government’s education website in the state you will be living in.